- Check your driveway and under your car regularly for antifreeze leaks. If your car’s cooling system malfunctions, clean up spills thoroughly and discard cleaning rags where pets can’t reach them.
- When you change your antifreeze, make sure your pets are secured safely and no children are in the area.
- If your engine does boil-over, immediately clean up the spill wherever you are.
- If you even suspect your pet has been exposed to antifreeze, take it to a vet immediately. Be sure to clean cats thoroughly, especially where they can lick themselves.
- Keep your vet’s phone number by your phone for easy access.
Has your vehicle got a really annoying squeak? Or maybe it's leaving a trail of some neon-colored juice. Afraid it might be cheaper to drive it over a cliff than to a mechanic? Never fear. Most of these are easy to fix yourself with inexpensive products you can find almost anywhere.
If your transmission is having trouble shifting, or if you see red fluid puddling around your car, check your transmission fluid level right away. Transmissions are closed systems and need to be full at all times. But don't waste your time continually refilling the fluid. Seal the leak as you add transmission fluid, with a product like Prestone® ATF with Stop Leak.
If your car complains loudly when you turn it sharply right or left, it may be leaking power steering fluid. As an alternative to costly repair, try Prestone® Power Steering Fluid With Stop Leak to refill your system and stop the leak in one step.
The other leak you can seal with a simple additive is in your cooling system. Leaking antifreeze can be dangerous for neighborhood pets and lead to engine overheating, so it's important to get this fixed. The trouble is, the leak could be anywhere. The radiator, the heater core, or the hoses.
There are a number of stop leak products made for cooling systems, and each one seals a different size hole. Prestone® Stop Leaks seals most leaks in hoses, radiators, and heater cores, and also helps lubricate the water pump and fights rust and scale at the same time. As you move up to more heavy-duty products for larger holes, you may want to go right to the big guns: something like Prestone® Super Sealer.
Finally, squeaky belts make a sound all their own. That's because as they get older, they start to lose their grip. V-belts and fan belts can crack with age as well. For these, try Prestone® Belt Dressing. It prolongs the life of the belts and also reduces strain on bushings and bearings.
Prestone's experts provide consumers with the latest and most advanced winter-related products to make driving in snow and icy conditions easier and safer.
Be Prepared On The Road By Having:
- A portable jump starter and power source so you can start your own vehicle without needing the help of another car.
- A flashlight or spotlight.
- Emergency flares to make sure you are clearly visible to other drivers and reflectors in case you are stranded at night.
- A first-aid kit.
- A tire inflator and sealer that will quickly and easily inflate and seal a flat tire so that you can drive home or to a repair shop.
- Bottled water and snacks, such as crackers or energy bars.
- Blankets (inexpensive acrylic blankets are available at most discount merchandisers).
- A cellular phone so you can call for assistance if necessary, as well as a contact list of service stations and emergency numbers.
- An ice scraper and snow brush, essential items for winter months.
- An extra pair of gloves, a scarf, and hat.
- Extra windshield washer de-icer fluid that can be used in cold weather driving.
When winter comes, it is armed and dangerous with a powerful arsenal of conditions that lower your visibility when driving. But with some recent developments in ice-fighting technology, it's easier to keep your windshield clear for safer driving.
According to the winter driving experts at Prestone®, most regular blue washer fluids may work fine in the summer, but in cold weather they can freeze, smear on your windshield and block your view. Prestone® Windshield De-Icer Washer Fluid, easily identifiable by its bright yellow color, is a washer fluid formulated to work in extremely cold temperatures. The Prestone fluid:
- Will remove frost and light ice
- Will prevent dangerous refreeze
- Won't freeze in the washer reservoir
- Works in temperatures as low as -25°F
- Clears away road grime and salt
If your vehicle has been out in the ice and snow, you may have a lot of work to do before you start driving. Follow these steps for quick and easy clearing:
- Start your vehicle and turn on the front and rear defrosters.
- Clear the snow off your entire vehicle, including headlights, taillights, hood, trunk and the top of your car. The snow blowing off your vehicle could reduce visibility for the driver behind you.
- Consider using Prestone® Spray De-Icer, an aerosol spray that speeds up the process by melting ice as you scrape. Score the surface of the ice first before spraying to improve the de-icer's penetration into the ice structure.
Before you start shoveling away at a driveway packed with snow and ice, the winter experts at Prestone have some recommendations to make it easier on you and your back:
- Make sure you have a good shovel
- Stretch beforehand
- Lift with your knees (not your back)
- Take frequent breaks to give your muscles a rest
If you follow these simple steps, you'll be amazed at how much easier it is to deal with bad-weather days.
A: If the product is still in the original sealed container or has not been diluted with water then it has a shelf life of many years.
A: Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles.
A: We recommend that you use between a 50% and 70% concentration of antifreeze. At least 50% is necessary to give the adequate amount of corrosion protection, as well as freeze/boil-over protection. However, we do not recommend more than 70% antifreeze. This would cause restriction of the heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection. The concentration of freeze/boil-over protection of the antifreeze mixture can be checked using a Prestone® Antifreeze Coolant Tester.
A: Both SCA and Extender are used to supplement engine coolants to provide a fully formulated heavy-duty (HD) coolant. However, SCAs and Extenders are as different as conventional silicated HD coolant is to Extended Life HD coolants. SCA chemistry is typically based on a combination of nitrite and inorganic corrosion inhibitors, while Extenders are typically based on nitrite and organic corrosion inhibitors. The use of SCAs in Extended Life coolants or extenders in silicated formulations will negate the benefits of the additive and could jeopardize the cooling system’s life.
A: Prestone® Cor-Guard™ Antifreeze/Coolant is an Extended Life coolant that meets or exceeds the performance requirements of the following industry specifications:
- ASTM D3306
- ASTM D4985
- SAE J1034
- BS 6580 (European specification)
- JACA/JSA-JIS K 2234-2006 (Japanese specification)
- Australian AS2108-2004
- Chinese GB 29743-2013
- General Services Administration CID A-A-52624
- Ford WSS M97B55-A
- Ford ESE-M97B44-B
- Ford WSS M97B44-D
- GM 6722M
- GMW 3420
- Chrysler MS- 7170, MS-9769
- Chrysler MS-12106
- European and Asian Specifications
- ASTM D3306
- ASTM D4985
- ASTM D6210
A: The video on this website (Prestone YouTube page) gives thorough directions for performing a flush and fill. Following these easy to follow directions should revitalize your tired cooling system fluid and help your cooling system last longer.
A: All of our sealers are high performing products. However, we offer them in various forms and in different strengths to give the consumer several options. We have found that many consumers are only comfortable using one specific form of sealer and that this form varies from consumer to consumer. Also, the size of the leak opening and the leak rate dictate which sealer to use. Of our high performing sealers, Prestone Radiator Sealer seals the largest leaks, while Prestone Radiator Stop Leak is more appropriate for handling the more frequently encountered small to medium leaks.
A: The term "points" is commonly used in the automotive industry when referring to the octane increase a product offers. This is different from the figures shown at your local gas pump, where the octane "rating" of a gasoline is measured in "numbers." This can sometimes create confusion as to how "points" translate to "numbers."
The following calculation can be used to translate points to numbers: 1 octane point = 0.1 octane number. Increasing the octane of gasoline has several positive effects on automobile performance. A higher octane gasoline will allow a car to run smoother by reducing knocks and pings, which ultimately restores lost performance.
Please Contact Us for any other questions.